Friday, 1 June 2007

The joys of outwitting Nanny part II

If you've ever been on board a classic old wooden boat you will have smelled the wondrous aroma of Stockholm Tar. Made from Pine Oil, it's been used for centuries to coat wood and natural fibre cables and lines to waterproof them. I shalln't say it's a bit like creosote, because when someone said this the EU promptly moved to ban it. From September of last year, the sale of Stockholm Tar in the EU was made illegal. Except for the treatment of horse's hoofs, for which there is no substitute.

Now, the EU realised after making the law that Stockholm Tar wasn't at all like creosote, wasn't harmful and should not have been banned. But it was too late. Like Papal infallibility, the EU can't be seen to have been wrong. So the ban remains.

Yet it is still on sale in ships' chandleries across the land. The retailer is supposed to ensure it will be used for the treatment of equine hoofs and nothing else. So old salts pitching up in sowesters and sea-boots have learned to growl "A gallon of Stockholm Tar, please, dear. For my horse's hoofs."

The retailer pretends to believe them and the law is satisfied.

5 comments:

old and angry said...

And the law is an ass!

My grandaughters rabbit had a multiple birth ( as rabbits do!)
But the runt of the litter was getting no milk,so off i trot to my local chemist to speak to the Pharmacist.
I need a syringe i explained, to feed said rabbit (every 4 hours )
He looked at me as though i was Pete Doherty's brother !,I don't need the needle, i explained, just the syringe.
My pleas fell on deaf ears.
Had i been a junkie,and wanted to mainline, all would have been o/k,
but as a Grandfather, trying to save a life of one rabbit, it was more than his jobsworth to supply me with the requested syringe

The botom line was, he didn't believe me!

Hehehe.........

Roger Thornhill said...

I love the smell of creosote.

How does one become a professional woodpreserver? If it means a few days course and a test, then it might be worth it.

I can then cruise Suburbia charging a pretty penny as "Mr Creosote" (without the vomit).

hatfield girl said...

My father had a shed in the garden where he retreated to carve things (rather than us I suspect).

It was marvellous in the summer, redolent of glue, creosote, what he called 'dope' which was used to paint the fabric of extraordinary model aeroplanes...

Roger Thornhill said...

Hatfield Girl - many thanks for evoking that hot dry timber, paint, cobwebs, thinners, leather, rubber, dust smell of the garden shed.

I do wonder if marriages would work better if all homes had a shed...

hatfield girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.