Sunday, 9 March 2008

Bring it on!

As the Sunday papers are full of political consensus to impose swingeing increases on alcohol duty and Darling is being urged to raise the price of a packet of fags to £10, I can do no more than turn to my Kipling:
Brandy for the Parson, 'Baccy for the Clerk.
Laces for a lady; letters for a spy,
Watch the wall my darling while the Gentlemen go by!
The Burghers of Calais and the French government are set to do very well from Darling if he follows all the advice he's being offered today.

I haven't paid a penny in ciggy tax to the UK Treasury in 11 years. My regular 6-weekly shopping trips across the channel, to stock the larder as well as the cellar and humidor, leave me buying little more than fresh fruit, veg, meat and fish in the UK. And shirts, of course; even the French can't make shirts to compare with Jermyn Street.

And now I plan to rent an allotment. I've calculated I can grow an entire year's worth of Virginia tobacco on a single allotment plot, and it seems I'm not alone. The interweb is busy with websites offering advice, encouragement, seeds and practical tips for legal growing, curing and storage of home-grown tobacco in the UK. And no doubt home wine and beer-making will show a similar increase in interest for the law-abiding and practically-minded.

For those more indolent souls, and those who don't mind paddling in illegality, there will always be the smugglers.

5 comments:

CresceNet said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my site, it is about the CresceNet, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://www.provedorcrescenet.com . A hug.

Ed said...

I haven't bought a bottle of wine in the UK for a year at least. My next trip to the Fifth Republic is a week after budget day.

John East said...

Same here, if people are stupid or lazy enough to pay UK tax on fags and beer then they deserve all they get.

I wonder how long we've got before the new improved super EU closes all the loopholes and all Europeans get to pay the same to their new masters.

Maybe its time to start stocking up.

Guthrum said...

I am off on Tuesday, the State has cracks, the Super state has super cracks.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. My organization is happy with the excellence of the details offered. I hope that you keep up with the excellent job conducted.
Locksmith West palm beach
locksmith Plantation FL
Locksmith Saratoga CA
San Jose locksmith
Palo Alto locksmith
Locksmith Fremont CA
locksmith fort worth tx
irvine locksmiths
pembroke pines locksmiths
miami locksmiths
irvine locksmith
locksmith plano tx
pembroke pines fl locksmith
locksmith irvine
locksmith irvine
Locksmith Hialeah FL
Hialeah FL Locksmith
locksmith miami beach
mesquite tx locksmith
plano locksmiths
locksmith miami fl
fort worth locksmiths
locksmith miami beach fl
locksmith fort worth fl