Saturday, 30 August 2008

The return of the butcher's counter?

My local Tesco serves both an area of £1m homes and a council estate. So far they haven't started security-tagging the meat, but I expect it's just a matter of time. And it strikes me as a bit pointless, anyway; if someone is desperate enough to steal a joint of beef, surely they're desperate enough to pull it out of its cling-film and tagged wrapping and drop it into their pocket?

I suspect we'll see the return of the butcher's counter before long, with its own till and an actual butcher who can slice you some pork chops with kidney in (how long since you saw those in a supermarket?) or a few pounds of skirt for a Goulash. Good.

Now they just need to deal with the egg-swappers. And I can't quite understand why the Malibu, Southern Comfort and Vodka bottles are tagged but the vintage port and single malts aren't - are the underclass supposed to be unable to fashion a taste for Laphroaig?

4 comments:

Blue Eyes said...

My Tesco has a similar if not identical demographic. I haven't seen the egg swappers but I did notice which booze gets tagged and which doesn't. My Tesco doesn't have any deli counter and very little choice of fresh meat :-((

JuliaM said...

'Egg swappers'..?

Raedwald said...

Am I the only one who's seen the egg swappers at work? They transfer large organic eggs into small 'value' egg boxes at half the price. How many concerned middle-class egg-buyers end up eating cheap battery eggs unknowingly I wonder?

JuliaM said...

"Am I the only one who's seen the egg swappers at work? They transfer large organic eggs into small 'value' egg boxes at half the price."

Good grief! No, I've not seen that.

I'll watch out for it now, though... ;)