Tuesday, 14 October 2008

E-Cigarette - quick review



Bigger and a lot heavier than a real ciggie, the e-fag has three parts; the 'tobacco tube' is a rechargable battery, the 'filter' holds the nicotine charge and between them is an electronic atomiser. A red LED in the tip lights when you suck at the thing. So how well does it work?

Pretty well. I used it to good effect during two lengthy phone calls in the office yesterday of a kind that demanded a nicotine boost, on the train and yesterday evening in a test-smoke in two pubs and a bar on the way home. I also used it frequently on short walks between buildings and whenever I fancied a couple of drags. The first cartridge is still working (each cartridge is supposed to be about equivalent to a packet of 20) and I reckon I've smoked at least 20 fewer real ciggies than I would otherwise have done.

I did ask before I used it in the pubs and bar, but in each case they were quite OK about it. This is the most brilliant thing about it; sitting back inside and being able to smoke again. Bliss. The 'smoke' has a slightly odd taste and of course none of the complexity of flavour of the real stuff, but delivers an authentic throat-feel and a decent shot of nicotine.

The cartridges are actually around 37p each - and given that a single normal ciggie bought in the UK costs in excess of 20p, this represents the greatest attraction of the thing. Unless the government outlaws these or taxes the cartridges in the near future, I can see UK tobacco excise duties halving in the next year.

It won't replace the first Gauloises of the day with the first cafetiere of coffee of the day - that pleasure is too intense and too important - but I reckon as a supplement for daily use outside of home it will be indispensable.

As more manufacturers get in on the game and the price of the e-cigs (about £20 for the hardware) is competed down, and more importantly as the manufacturers agree on a common cartridge (as far as I can make out, the three most available e-cigs all have unique cartridges) these will become ubiquitous during the coming recession. Now all it needs is for some enterprising bod to substitute THC for nicotine (not for me - my spliffy days are long gone) and a whole new market will open up.

7 comments:

Sabretache said...

"Now all it needs is for some enterprising bod to substitute THC for nicotine (not for me - my spliffy days are long gone) and a whole new market will open up."

My thoughts exactly. And why not?

As an occasional recreational user of some 40+ years, I've learned that THE most dangerous thing about it bar none is its illegality. Otherwise little different from a few pints of beer a week. So just what exactly IS the rationale behind selectively outlawing stuff that, in its medical effects is little different (even arguably less 'harmful') than other stuff - with astronomical enforcement costs that appear to have no impact whatsoever?

As for the "my spliffy days are long gone" bit: Well, pace Mandy Rice-Davies and a certain Nobel Lord, you would say that now wouldn't you? Far too risky to even hint otherwise in mid-career and under the omnipresent gaze of our surveillance/security state apparatus and tabloid press guardians of the nation's morality. To an observer from Mars our society, with it's stifling, oppressive, nannying domestic regime and its self-righteous crusading insistence on interfering in the affairs of others, must appear strange indeed.

PS Please forgive me these rants; you provide some excellent triggers and they are wonderfully therapeutic

TheFatBigot said...

Thank you Mr R, most helpful.

I'm trying to decide which make to buy, they all seem pretty much the same.

Rob Farrington said...

I have one too now, and although it made me cough at first (real ciggies generally don't because I've been smoking for twenty odd years), I seem to be getting used to it now.

I'm impressed, but I'm just wondering whether to take it on the plane with me when I fly to the US at the weekend. There's no way I'd use it in the passenger cabin - there'd be too many people thinking that I was really smoking and so it'd probably just cause a headache for the flight attendants, but I could probably get away with a few drags in the toilet. I don't think it'd set off the smoke alarm, anyway!

As an aside, have you ever had the evil urge to take a plastic bag full of cigarette dimps onto a plane and then dump them all into the toilet bowl just before coming into land?

They'd be HOURS trying to figure out what was wrong with the smoke detetector...

Old Holborn said...

I got one last week and found the nicotine to be really really strong. Too strong in fact, I nearly threw up twice.

What am I doing wrong?

electronic cigarette vapour said...

I think an electronic cigarette invention is the safest alternative smoking product on the market. Our generation is surely heading towards a better future by accepting an electronic cigarette to replace a traditional hazardeous tobacco smoking. I now choose electronic cigarette harmless vaping rather than smoking dangerous cigarettes which will harm me & the environment. Amazing invention!!!

E. Cigs said...

I think an electronic cigarette invention is the safest alternative smoking product on the market. Our generation is surely heading towards a better future by accepting an electronic cigarette to replace a traditional hazardeous tobacco smoking. I now choose electronic cigarette harmless vaping rather than smoking dangerous cigarettes which will harm me & the environment.

Joye 510 said...

There are so many choices out there when it comes to getting an electronic cigarette. Buyer beware, you can end up with a very, very, very bad piece of crap if you don't do your research. The biggest mistake buyers make is paying way too much.