Friday, 2 January 2009

Smokers, spend an hour or two in Hackney

Powell details in 'Dance' how young officers would tease Widmerpool by giving all the signs of preparing to render him a salute and then at the last moment refraining from doing so. It's the sort of pricking of petty pomposity that we English are really quite good at.

The Standard reports today that Hackney's litter enforcement officers are following smokers around with video cameras. As far as littering is concerned, smokers are an easy target. You know exactly when the offence will occur.

It strikes me that some mischievous smokers may take some minor pleasure in leading these people a merry dance.

5 comments:

Sue said...

How pathetic is this whole vendetta against smokers becoming? It makes my blood boil!

I like a cigarette and I am certainly not a criminal... thank goodness I live in Spain!

Curmudgeon said...

I'm sure in the middle of an economic recession council tax payers will be happy to see their money being spent in this way.

Whenever I read stories like this I always think that, had the Nazis conquered Britain in the 1940s, they would have found no shortage of willing collaborators.

Bill Quango MP said...

Curmudgeon.
Find SS-GB by Len Deighton if you can. Its about a murder but its set in a 1941 Great Britain that the Nazis have conquered.

One Scotland Yard detective tells his junior, "The Germans are bureaucrats. Its how they operate, its their motivation for every action they take."

why did that pop into my head?

TheFatBigot said...

I have a little portable ashtray and carry it with me always when in Hackney or under surveillance from tax-gathering cameras in other places. It is a pouch lined with aluminium into which one deposits both the ash and the butt, it has a top which folds over to cut off air and extinguish any burning matter.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to see the once Great Brits stand up to these petty thugs by beating the crap out of one.