Thursday, 12 February 2009

Update: dag definition

In response to, er, a single email from a non-agricultural correspondent querying my use of the term dag in:
The public have never been so far removed from the world of the political class, have never been more cynical about politicians and their dags, and have never been more disillusioned about standards of probity in Parliament.
I should explain that a dag is a faeces-caked lump of wool that hangs from a sheep's bottom. They often get fly-blown and develop maggots, so are not a good thing. I suppose hangers-on is a politer expression.

Right. Carry on.

8 comments:

it's either banned or compulsory said...

Good old 'Anglo Saxon' as my Mum used to say about nasty words she approved of.

William Gruff said...

'Dag' is perfect, given the context.

Only shit is actually 'Anglo-Saxon' (OE scit, meaning 'foul').

Cunt is Late Middle English.
Fuck is probably Elizabethan but may be earlier and Bollocks is Seventeenth C.

Chaucer used cuente and John Wilmot ballocks but the meaning of both is indisputable.

One might as well label the words ffrench as Anglo-Saxon.

Guthrum said...

I knew that :-)

William Gruff said...

Guthrum wrote: 'knew that :-)'

Thereby confirming what I've long suspected. Little wonder our country is in the state it is.

Tut, tut. I mean, really.

it's either banned or compulsory said...

Me Mum also included Ruddy, Bloody and Blimey in her list of such words.

Rob Farrington said...

Personally, I think 'klingon' would be a much better word for something like that. But then, I am a complete nerd.

William, the word 'cunt' was in use before Gordon Brown and Derek Draper were even born?!? I'm amazed!

Bill Quango MP said...

So that explains the phrase two dags Prescott

Peter Risdon said...

One of my favourite australian slang phrases is "rattle your dags", meaning "hurry up".

But then, as a half Australian, maybe I'm partial.