Tuesday, 31 March 2009

Time to switch the mortgage

I haven't got a big mortgage so the interest rate cuts of the past few months haven't produced much of a windfall from my tracker. However, indications of rapid inflation to come later this year means I'm now looking for a good three-year fixed rate. It's time to switch.

Back on 9th October last year, Radio 4's 'In business' ran a special programme with a panel of experts (the podcast seems to have disappeared from the BBC's website) that predicted exactly this situation; a short-term period of deflation, printing money, then rapid inflation.

Guido also points out that the Bank is expecting this.

3 comments:

Marukatsu said...

I don't think that we have a rapid inflation.
But thank you for your information.
Have a nice day!

Letters From A Tory said...

I'm about to moved onto the variable rate once my fixed rate finishes, but I have no idea how long to play chicken with the market and stay on the considerably lower variable rate....

Bill Quango MP said...

I'm stuck as no one will fix mine. It has to Track.
If I could fix I would do it as soon as the first 1/2% rise.