Sunday, 18 October 2009

The luxury of a streaming cold

I don't often give myself a reason to malinger from my iron schedule, but this weekend a streaming cold has given me an excuse for utter blokeish self-indulgence. The central heating stays on beyond its usual half hour at dawn, a pot of home-made chicken soup simmers on the hob and I'm ready to snuggle up on the sofa beneath a goose-down duvet with an unread Bernard Cornwell, a roll of bum-wipe and 'Withnail' on video, occasionally dosing myself with experimental mixtures of ardent spirits, honey, lemon juice, boiling water and aspirin. Sheer luxury.

6 comments:

Blue Eyes said...

Half hour at dawn?! Mine hasn't gone on yet. I usually allow a few minutes when there is snow on the ground...

Anonymous said...

You're a true Spartan BE! (Or a Stoic, I forget which ..) but you'll have to do better at producing CO2 than that to raise the Thames by a few feet (which is now my ambition in life)

Blue Eyes said...

I might have been exaggerating somewhat. Some would suggest that the amount of CO2 you personally produce will have no impact whatsoever on the level of the Thames....

Bill Quango MP said...

Heating already on. The household first stirs at 6am and its freezing.
Not me though. I get an extra two hours.

lilith said...

Bill, is that in your main residence or in your second home? Surely the taxpayer foots your heating bills?
(P.S reference your comment about misfortune on Pip's. Have you tried feng shui?" As long as you know where North is you can do it yourself, or you could charge a consultant to the taxpayer.)

William Gruff said...

I thought something was amiss Raedwald.

I like my toddies made with rum. I heat three lemons in water with star anise, cloves and a cinnamon quill and then add the liquor to a large mug primed with two unsustainably large spoonsful of good honey and an excusably generous tot of Lambs.

It has no effect on the microbes but it's very good for my morale. Fortunately I'm suffering a mild but hard to shift chest infection myself.

Cheers, and get well soon.