Monday, 8 February 2010

Sikhs and knives

Does anyone seriously imagine that Sikhs are allowed to fly whilst wearing their ceremonial daggers? If wearing it 'at all times' were so fundamental to their religion, one would never see a Sikh in an aircraft. The rule is flexible enough, it seems, to allow removal of the object for reasons of public well-being.

For Sikhs to protest that Sikh boys are not being allowed to take their knives to school, and that this violates their religion, ignores the fact that teenage boys of whatever faith are testosterone-charged little lumps of gelignite in company, and knives present the same public well-being argument as they do in aircraft.

What next, the Ton Ton Macoute insisting on taking their machetes into Tesco?

7 comments:

Pat said...

Perhaps our current trend to allow all Muslim religious practices at all times has excited their jealousy?
in any case, its only a generation ago that good Christian grammar school boys habitually carried a penknife, and boy scouts normally carried a sheath knife. I don't recall many blood baths.

Furor Teutonicus said...

I have tried asking this of air port securuty, and of airlines. About twelve in all.

I have had all kinds from my query being ignored, to getting accused of "racism" for merely asking.

So I presume they ARE allowed.

Anonymous said...

Does my son get to take an Uzi to Hebrew school?

Anonymous said...

A Kirpan is not a "knife" to a Sikh. May I suggest you look up the truth before making judgement.

Weekend Yachtsman said...

Anon: so if I take a knife on a plane and call it "Bob" then that is OK?

Give me strength...

Furor Teutonicus said...

You can do some pretty serious damage with an H5 pencil.

Thats not a "knife" either.

Furor Teutonicus said...

Oh HEL!!!

WHAT idea have I just put into their tiny minds NOW?