Friday, 16 April 2010

HIGNFY was OK

I half-watched the first half hour of the leaders' debate before switching to BBC1 for Have I got news for you. Which was OK. Then I read a few pages of a soporific Swedish novel guaranteed to put the brain waves into sleep mode.

So my impressions from the first half hour? Well, it's the first time I've seen Clegg's face move. Normally I never watch anything with LibDems in, so I know him only vaguely from still photographs. He reminds me of an insurance broker from Wembley chasing a commission, or an earnest estate agent. However, that such people are often highly successful in selling both insurance and houses is apparently confirmed by this morning's poll results. Brown was his usual clunking self, and Cameron failed to sparkle.

The following hour could have been different, of course, but for the bit I saw the Indie's cartoonist had it about right:

2 comments:

Demetrius said...

From the bit I say on the News I thought they had all be botoxed, or something.

Tamianne said...

Yes, I think Nick Clegg did give the best ‘performance’ of the three. He was smooth and there was substance I thought. However, Cameron seemed to score highly in the polls with regard to what he actually said about certain issues, such as crime, education and immigration.

I do think it’s a pity though that Cameron did little to defend his party and its policies when challenged. It almost seems like it’s a bit too much for him sometimes (especially after seeing him being interviewed by the Pink news man on HIGNFY). I also would have liked to have heard him getting a bit more specific about certain issues and giving more examples to back up his arguments(i.e. we will making cuts by scrapping databases etc., etc.), as Clegg did. In this way he would have made what he said sound less like empty promises. After all, the Conservatives have gone into more detail in interviews, so he should have been able to do this.

On the other hand, I like the direction that Cameron seems to be going in (localism, power to the people, smaller central government). His proposals might not go far enough, I don’t know, but the others aren’t even pretending to be going in this direction. Also, the fact that he looked a bit nervous did make him seem more human than the others. In fact, the fact that the others weren’t obviously nervous could be seen as a sign of too big an ego (no surprise there).

As for Gordon Brown, well, he looked calmer than usual, but still didn’t answer questions and wasted time by making jokes, both of which approaches I thought were disrespectful to the public. The fact that he kept agreeing with Nick I found particularly worrying and has helped me confirm my view that I shouldn’t vote for Clegg either for fear of a Lib/Lab pact.