Wednesday, 19 May 2010

The Pact: my own Red Line

The Lib Dems have been enthusiastic supporters of State funding (i.e. tax funding) of political parties; indeed, they wholeheartedly backed Hayden Phillips' corrupt and soiled proposals to dish out State cash based on vote share in the previous election.

So when Clegg also promised in his 'big speech' today to go ahead with "reforms to the funding of political parties to end the culture of big donors" you can read the code; State funding for these dying private clubs. The Lib Dems have barely 60,000 members, so Clegg's avaricious and rapacious grab for State cash to compensate for the unpopularity of being a LibDem can be understood, if not condoned.

This is my Red Line, as it will be for many Conservatives. It's time Dave grabbed his choke-lead and repeated a firm command "No. Bad."

This is something I'll go to the barricades for, and I know I won't be alone.

1 comment:

English Pensioner said...

I still don't see why Cameron thought a coalition was necessary. As the biggest party he could have formed a government and I have my doubts as to whether the combined opposition parties would ever have managed to agree to bring it down.
Now he has to KowTow to Clegg who is already issuing warnings about various issues such as amending the Human Rights Act as well as wanting his way on electoral reform.
I wonder if Cameron has the guts to say "This far and no further"?