Tuesday, 19 October 2010

Dryden will survive the cuts

I once had a temp who could have become a permanent staff member had she possessed just the minimum of gumption; when invited to get to know a simple software application she hadn't used before she pleaded she 'hadn't been trained' and was utterly unwilling to move outside her comfort zone. The idea that you can't use an application without formal training came to mind this morning as I read Pri Gopal's pleading piece in the Grauniad. Without arts courses at Uni, she says, we will as a culture forget all about Dryden. 


By education most have been misled; So they believe, because they were bred. The priest continues where the nurse began, And thus the child imposes on the man. Beware the fury of a patient man, either be wholly slaves or wholly free, for they conquer who believe they can. 

5 comments:

Blue Eyes said...

You only had that once? I get that all the time, even from people who have been shown time and again.

Demetrius said...

As someone who would be long in the tooth had it still been in place I have to say that some of the things I was best at and some of the things I have most enjoyed had nothing whatever to do with any training or education I had.

English Pensioner said...

I don't believe that "Arts" can be taught. You have various interests throughout life, these change as times go by and you make your own decisions as to what you like in music, art, literature, etc. This can't be taught, otherwise we would all think alike and there would be no art.
I think the main purpose of university "education" in arts is to convince students that people like Tracy Emlin are artists and the contents of the Tate Modern are worthy of public display and are worth money!

Elby The Berserk said...

English Pensioner.

Indeed - my love of our native literature was inculcated in me by being read to at bed time, and then inspirational teachers. That took me to read Eng Lit & Lang at Oxford, where I was horribly disappointed by much of what was presented; pace two or three lecture courses and good college tutors.

It took me some ten years to recover my love of fine literature; by that time, I was a computer programmer, having retrained at the age of 30 (Thanks to Mrs. T's excellent "TOPS" courses, three months, intensive, expenses covered).

The real problem the nation has is that the left has so heavily infested the whole realm of education. Result - a nation of illiterates and innumerates is just around the corner.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my bad english. Thank you so much for your good post. Your post helped me in my college assignment, If you can provide me more details please email me.