Monday, 29 August 2011

Parva que sue

It's the fado-rooted song that's inspiring a generation of  young, unemployed graduates in Portugal; R4 ran a short 15 minute feature this afternoon that's worth a listen, and the sentiment's been spreading virally across Europe. They want secure jobs, homes, marriages and kids and who can argue against those aspirations? I don't know where this movement is going, but it's got real weight and we'd all better wake up to it. My free translation of the lyrics below;


For my generation it's work without pay
and that doesn't really bother me
What a fool I am!
The hard times will go on
I'm lucky to be an intern
What a fool I am!
And I'm left to think
how foolish a world
Where I must study to be a slave


For my generation it's mum and dad's house
Where I shouldn't want for anything more
What a fool I am!
but a husband and children are farther away
and I still have to pay for the car
What a fool I am!
And I'm left to think
how foolish a world
Where I must study to be a slave


For my generation really shouldn't complain
Someone's always worse off on TV
What a fool I am!


And my generation can't take it no more
as nothing is getting better
And I'm no fool any more!
And I'm left to think
how foolish a world
Where I must study to be a slave
how foolish a world
Where I must study to be a slave

6 comments:

Elby the Beserk said...

Fantastic. What a truly wonderful voice the performer has. Thanks for that.

Anonymous said...

It is easy to say "We want jobs", but creating jobs is very hard for any government that doesn't have revenue from oil.

Oil states can carry bloated bureaucracies, others cannot. The only way out is to make it extremely easy to start a small business - no red tape or licenses.

Anonymous said...

Tremendous voice, truly.

Fabian The Fabulous said...

Thanks for that – the fado is a powerful but generally neglected (over here anyway) form.
The sentiments are probably as timely here in Blighty as they are among the young of our oldest ally.

Anonymous said...

If I got started on this, it would end in a long rant. "Study to be a slave" just about sums it up. What a mess we are in.

Coney Island

Elby the Beserk said...

Fado - yes; some years back I saw the wonderful Mariza at the wonderful St. Georges in Bristol. There was a power cut on the lighting circuit just before she performed, so she performed in candle light. A quite exquisite performance.