Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Euro federasts have no love for Europe

Sometimes it's the little things, tinged with geekiness, that reinforce my love of Europe. Brickwork, for example. Once the art of brickmaking had been developed in stoneless Flanders it spread outwards across the continent, finding an early home in East Anglia with strong Flemish design influence, but also reaching Eastern Europe, where the stepped gable transmuted into baroque machicolations. The rail gauge, 4' 8½", almost universal in Europe except, unexpectedly, for Ireland and Spain, and exactly equivalent to the wheelbase of horse-drawn carts and wagons used since Roman times. I love our quirks, our differences, and Europe's defining national characteristic, its cheeses. I'm very proud to call myself a European. 


My Europe isn't the Europe of the federasts. For them, Europe means homogeneity, a dull equalised sameness, a bland and mediocre non-identity. Bruce Anderson writes in the Telegraph this morning on how these ideologues, exactly like the Marxists before them, love their ideology more than they love Europe; they are, indeed, prepared to see Europeans suffer in poverty, see lives and families ruined, and see a generation of lives spoiled in order to preserve the ideology. They love federism more than they love Europe. 


It's because I love Europe that I want to see the baleful powers of the EU destroyed.   

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My thoughts entirely; and if you were to ask anyone who has travelled through Europe, they would say the same. I don't think that anyone is anti Europe per se. The thing they don't like about Europe is the EU, or rather the way it is run and funded and the corruption that surrounds it. As the French say - "vive la difference"

Coney Island

nisakiman said...

Same as that. I spent most of the seventies living and working in Australia (it was the land of the free in those days, unlike now), and the main reason I left was that I missed Europe. Not England. Europe.

I found it quite depressing that I could drive for a week from one side of Oz to the other, and I'd find the same language, the same shops, the same food, the same culture.

I longed to be able to drive for a mere day and be able to experience several completely different cultures, cuisines and languages in that one day. Europe is wonderful. The EU is a blight that will destroy that amazing diversity if we allow it to.

Anonymous said...

I could not agree with you more - and in my travels though Europe for the past fifteen years or so, most of the Belgians, Germans, French, Austrians, Italians, etc. in the many countries I visited and stayed in would agree too.

Funny though, that they pick and choose which EU rules to follow to suit them, unlike a certain, English-speaking country's weak politicians...