Thursday, 28 June 2012

The pricking of officious narcissism

If you're a government minister as unknown and obscure as Hugh Robertson, the very last thing you should ask recalcitrant security guards barring your way is 'Don't you know who I am?' Robertson (who?) is facing ridicule this morning after his little spat with guards controlling entry to the Olympic media centre. He's not the first angry little narcissist to make himself a laughing stock; when Sebastian Coe was advised he wouldn't be admitted to Centre Court without his pass, and would have to sort any problems out at the main ticket office he exploded "Don't you know who I am? I'm Lord Coe" to which the unfazed security guard replied "Well, you'll be able to run round to the office and sort your ticket out all the quicker, then .."

6 comments:

G. Tingey said...

Excellent!
These nasty little offcious fascist shits deserve each other.

The completely mad "security" so-called "precautions aropund the olympic area are scary ( I cycled down the about-to-be-closed canal towpath ) and 150% utterly useless, since there is an obvious security hole, right through the mioddle of the hole (oops) thing.

Moronic fascist idiots.
Trouble is, I'm expecting innocent bystanders to get killed.

nobody important said...

That guard deserves promotion. He must have been watching that wartime film when John Mills(?) as the CO of the airfield wanted to go into the mess and the squaddie on the door kept standing in front of him refusing access.
"Don't you know who I am?"
"Yes Sir, you are the CO, Wingco xxx, but you still need a pass to come in"
"CO, showing his pass, "Good man Corporal, well done".

We need more folks like him to put these officious twats in their place.

PS: I admit, I had never heard of Robertson before this morning!

Anonymous said...

Robertson? Never 'eard of 'im. Nobody else has either. That likely means that he has contributed two fifths of fuck all to the whole damn shabang but managed to get well paid for it.

Coney Island

Ian Bennett said...

We all know this one, don't we?

John A said...

I do admit amusement at this type. I'd wager that he could not name {or even recognise) every MP. My class at school had about 400 students, and I doubt I would have beem able to recognise more than half of them on the street.

English Pensioner said...

Reminds me of the story of the MP who was to visit an old persons' home, but due to a mix-up was met by an elderly resident.
"Hello Dearie" she said
"Do you know who I am?"
"No" she said "But come along with me to see matron, she'll soon tell you"