Monday, 28 October 2013

Lou Reed 1967 - 1972

There's two Lou Reed albums that I'll bet most of you, like me, have in scratched vinyl; his 1967 Velvet Underground release with Nico, and Transformer from 1972. The first gave those of us who have never taken heroin a pretty good idea of the experience; thrashing dischords, heartbeat bass drum, and then Nico's thin fragile voice on Sunday Morning. Transformer's Walk on the Wild Side and Perfect Day formed the core soundtrack for our twenty-something love lives. Both are still pretty good albums. 

He made other stuff of course. And by all accounts he was a bit of an arse, but selling millions of records can do that to a chap. RIP.

4 comments:

right_writes said...

Apparently Bob Dylan didn't like him... I seem to remember that the single "Positively 4th Street" is directed at Lou Reed.

I saw him at Charlton, in the 1970's....

As you say Raedwald...

RIP.

mikebravo said...

I think I remember reading about Lou Reed and David Bowie having fisticuffs in a restaurant in New York over a song.
Today's lot just issue snide twitters.

RIP.

anon 2 said...

Never heard of 'im, meself. But then, I didn't like the noise (et al.) that was evolving in the early '70s. Lost interest.

I see he was just my age, though. Maybe he was wise to destroy his liver and get out of it all already.

Elby the Beserk said...

White Light, White Heat is very fine, and still works for this 62 year old. I'm very fond of Loaded as well, a cracking set of rock 'n roll. Reed was an arse. Yes. Like so many other artists. But at his best he and VU made as fine a noise as any band ever has done...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62ckXALWn1M