Sunday, 7 December 2014

HDTV for £12.48 (techy post)

I suppose I'm what the trade terms a 'slow adopter' for new technology; the TV in the sitting room is a not overlarge CRT and I'm very happy with the top-grade CRT computer monitor I bought back in 2007 - still working perfectly. I've been waiting for the new fangled LED things to come down in price, you see. 

However, from time to time I flirt with cheap bits of kit; my latest is a Freeview receiver for the PC costing £12.48 from eBay that consists of a USB stick and an aerial the size and shape of a biro ink-tube. Frankly, I'm astonished - HD reception is perfect for all the Crystal Palace channels, even SD is better than the TV and the CRT monitor renders colours and blacks beautifully. Wow. It will even record onto the HD and manage 8-speaker surround sound.

Why didn't I know about this before? No wonder the licence fee is a lost cause for the BBC.

8 comments:

Michael said...

Any piece of music I want to listen to is available on Youtube, and once I've done the listening, I can do something else - except watch the BBC, which is just awful these days...

I'll find out soon enough if there's any problem which I should know about, so until then, I'll happily read my book, make some music on the Ipad, play with the dog, chat with Mrs Scroblene over a large glass of somewhat, and then another glass...

Budgie said...

Oh dear, that means you contribute to the Biased Broadcasting Corporation's coffers. Raedwald, how could you?

Prawnster said...

Tx Radders. Me too.Off to Maplin.

FrankS said...

You're still supposed to have a TV licence.

Anonymous said...

Any particular model Raedwald ?

Raedwald said...

Anon - the player is from http://www.blazevideo.com/hdtv-player/

but the USB stick and aerial are unbranded and came in a blister pack with the mini-CD

English Pensioner said...

I paid somewhat more for a card to go in my desktop, but I can now record any programme using Windows Media Centre and edit out the ads before saving it to a mpg file which I can play on the TV from a memory stick.

Johnm said...

You still need a tv licence!