Cameron has also in effect given backing to the British people to challenge any part of the British state, be it national or local, that harbours Islamist bigotry. We must be vigorous in challenging local government, the health service, the universities and national authorities and regulators, using FOI if necessary, to ensure they all declare openly their compliance with Cameron's lead in eradicating Islamist extremism from British life.
Since 2007 this blog has opposed multiculturalism is all its forms - I've termed it nothing but apartheid in a frock. There can be no 'separate development' in the UK, no segregated communities, no streets on which one has to act differently. The Islamist ghettoes must be broken up, and inhabitants dispersed to normal, liberal, British communities - rough or genteel, rich or poor - so that Moslems who subscribe fully to western liberal values can flourish as fellow citizens. Cameron also recognised this today - by committing to ending segregation in Moslem-only schools.
Today's speech builds on comments he had made since the Charlie Hebdo atrocity in which he has become increasingly confident in his message. To remind ourselves of his previous words;
I think we should recognise the values that we have in European countries of believing in democracy and free speech, freedom of expression, the right to offend people and be offended. These are not sources of weakness against this terrorist threat, they are sources of strength. They are what make us great economies, great countries, great societies...
Paris, following Islamist Charlie Hebdo atrocity
'Moslems are Islamist extremists if they believe that:-
- The West is bad - In contrast to immigrants who want to be part of the Western life, a society at the apex of two thousand years of social and economic development, enemies of the nation hate our culture and seek only to exploit and undermine it
- Democracy is wrong - Extremists believe that our democratic framework is mistaken and that only the Quran and its interpreters, the imams, should dictate law and policy; Islamist dog Anjem Choudary recently harangued British Moslems against voting in the 2015 elections as 'UnIslamic'
- Women are inferior to men - This gross stupdity lies at the heart of Islamism. They use it to justify forced marriage, child sex abuse, domestic violence, unequal opportunity in the workplace and to silence the voices of a half of our people. Morons.
- Homosexuality is evil - Many Christians legitimately believe homosexuality to be disordered and unnatural behaviour, yet tolerate those who choose this life. Islamists go far beyond this; If you think throwing gay men off high buildings is justified, as ISIS are doing, you're an Islamist.
- Islamic doctrine trumps British law - There is no place for the Quran, or Sharia, in British life. We have a set of laws that is both comprehensive and complete in themself and governs fairly the conduct of all our lives. British law is not trumped by any other.
- The Caliphate trumps the British realm - Those who foolishly imagine it is legitimate to support an insurrectionist sect against the British realm are already guilty of Sedition; to act on this belief makes it treasonous.
- Violence is justified - To believe that violence is justified in achieving one or more of the false tenets above is the mark of an enemy of my country.
Expect a furious backlash from Islamists and their apologists.
Post script 16.15
From Rohan Silva writing this afternoon in the Standard about breaking up the ghettoes:
Over the past 50 years politicians have been unwilling to intervene to ensure that social housing estates contain a broad range of ethnic groups. This laissez-faire approach might have made sense when Britain was relatively homogenous, but with ethnic diversity continuing to rise in our city, it’s high time we thought about a new approach.
If you want to see this type of interventionism in action, look at Singapore, which has been promoting ethnic diversity in its social housing for decades. Today around 85 per cent of Singaporeans live in government housing estates, which are regulated by an “Ethnic Integration Policy” that prevents any single ethnic group being over-represented in an estate. This is credited with successfully preventing the emergence of ethnic ghettos and promoting community integration for the good of the city as a whole.
As the deputy prime minister of Singapore said recently when explaining why their social housing policy is so important: “If we believe in social inclusion, we have to accept it doesn’t happen automatically because of the invisible hand of the market or the invisible hand of society.”